1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Your feelings about the Olympics?

Discussion in 'Sport' started by BazTardoUK, Jul 27, 2012.

1. BazTardoUK

BazTardoUK Baz Blatter Staff Member Sterling Toss Award Pour me... another Most likely to pass out at a meetup Most likely to Rage Quit Game Night Host 2016 Game Completionist

I don't watch Olympics apart from the odd bits now and again, so I didn't really have much interest in the fact we had this Olympics. Don't get me wrong, I was proud for the country and happy to see us get such a big deal, but wasn't too bothered about watching.

Now it's here, the hype has got me. I'm ready to enjoy the opening ceremony tonight, be it on my iPad whilst on the PS3, but I'll still be watching.

So I've probably gone from expecting to watch nothing, to now likely to see 20 - 30% of it. Cycling, sprinting and football the obvious bits to watch for me.

2. schatuk

schatuk Staff Member Voted Best Admin By Members Outstanding Contribution to GOs 2016 Game Completionist Most Helpful Member

I always enjoy the Olympics, and the fact that its in GBR makes it more special.

Not too fussed about the track and field tedium, but more the slightly more obscure sports - sailing, canoeing, all disciplines in cycling (road/track/MTB/BMX,cyclocross etc), shooting and hockey, but most of all the sailing - I love it. I'll watch the football but I'm more interested in Arsenal's preseason fixtures than I am in Team GB

3. Kail1967

Kail1967 Most likely to Rage Quit

I watch bits and bobs and will probably do the same for this one, but I'm patriotic enough to hope it goes well and shows the world what this country can do in regards to hosting such a massive event.
    Just a shame the little gripes and niggles seem to be getting in the way of the hard work that has gone into hosting the games, yeah some of it warranted, but some of it is just petty and nothing more than the UK press wanting to cast gloom over everything we do. So fingers crossed the Team GB athletes can win enough medals to give the press something else to talk about :)

4. thedamnedunited

thedamnedunited Pro Gamer Staff Member Most likely to Rage Quit

Not interested - end of.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

5. Drewstermeister

Drewstermeister Member

Taxpayers fund. Taxpayers have to pay to see ( if can get tickets)? Whilst an advocate of neoclassical economic policy, Olympics were not intended for profit. To this end I'm out.

6. BazTardoUK

BazTardoUK Baz Blatter Staff Member Sterling Toss Award Pour me... another Most likely to pass out at a meetup Most likely to Rage Quit Game Night Host 2016 Game Completionist

Thought being a gay cyclist, you'd have some interest in the cycle events.

7. Frodo

Frodo Button Pusher 'DILLIGAF' Award Winner 2016

Too much emphasis on London (as always) yet ALL British taxpayers have been stung with the massive overspend but the Olympics has only really benefited the south.

Sick of the way this country is run. Sick of politicians only giving a damn about the south. Sick of getting ever increasing tax bills to keep the soft bastards up and running.

I love sport and I will watch what I can and I do hope that the organisers do us proud as a nation, along with Team GB but the bottom line is we are not in a financial position to be holding the games. No way on earth will we make more than we've spent.

8. SirStuie

SirStuie Always around

Im looking forward to it.

The ticketing really has been a mess though, Ive not been able to get anything.

9. BazTardoUK

It's the London Olympics though.

Just like any other country that hosts the Olympics, it's a particular part of the country that's given the games. In the eyes of the world, London is about all most people know about Great Britain, so that's our obvious choice.

10. TalllPaul

TalllPaul Outstanding Contribution to GOs

Top Poster Of Month

11. Frodo

Then they need to fuck off out of Manchester :)

Manchester was the best place for the games - we held the Commonwealth and had all the infrastructure ready. Wouldn't have cost the tax payer anywhere near as much.

My general gripe is that us Northerners have to pay for it yet we don't see any benefits. At all.

As for the ticket issues - it is a mess. Thousands have been sent back, unsold. Should be no issues in getting tickets. Yet there is.

12. NumptyNed

NumptyNed Ayrton Senna Award

Manchester had the commonwealth games, the tax payers paid for it, and only the north west benefited from it. I know its not to the same extent as the olympics, but its the same principal.

im looking forward to it, after losing my jobs a couple of weeks ago, i have all day every day to watch what i want. mainly the cycling, sprinting and whatever else is on at the time!

13. NumptyNed

NumptyNed Ayrton Senna Award

even if manchester held the olympics they would still of built a brand new olympics park which would of cost nearly as much as the one in london. and as for infrastructure, london has one thing that no where else in the UK can offer, the underground. i know its not perfect but its better than not having anything like it at all. also it has motorways/train lines leading into it from nearly every corner of the country making access as easy as it can be to enter a large city.

as for tickets, i agree with you, anyone who came up with that way of selling them should be sacked!

14. thedamnedunited

thedamnedunited Pro Gamer Staff Member Most likely to Rage Quit

Why would I be interested in that when I can watch you compete in the balance a bottle Olympic event ?

[​IMG]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

15. BazTardoUK

See, you're interested in Olympics afterall, even if it is to look at my body ;)

16. SirStuie

SirStuie Always around

We say that for pretty much all our taxes ;)

This automated online ticketing has been a nightmare. Putting Kiosks in some supermarkets and walking away with a ticket or something similar should have been done.

17. Frodo

I'm just on a huge downer about them all - my opinions are extremely biased.

18. GiftedGimp

GiftedGimp Wastes loads of time on forum

BBC launch a load of Olympic Sports HD Channels (on Virgin Media at least), yet they can't be bothered to launch dedicated channels for other sports F1/Motor racing, Football, etc...

I'm not a fan of sports anyway, only real exception is F1, WRC (to some extent) and on occasion will watch a bit of other motor racing, nascar, gp2, motogp etc.

Only good thing about the olypics to show how well the british olympic commitee can fuck things up, look at south korea flag fiasco, first of many fuck-up i bet. (if it was the first.. as say no interest so not been following the news about it)

19. Heatster101

Heatster101 Staff Member

20. Wilks

Wilks Regular

Video gaming should be an Olympic sport.:D

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk 2