1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Sony Won't Make Big Vita Games Due To The Consumer Expectations

Discussion in 'PS Vita General' started by TalllPaul, Jun 20, 2015.

1. TalllPaul

TalllPaul Outstanding Contribution to GOs

Top Poster Of Month

Don't hold your breath for any big budget PlayStation Vita games. Sony stopped seriously supporting the handheld long ago, but its executives are getting to a point where they're so blunt it hurts. Speaking to Game Informer, Worldwide Studios president Shuhei Yoshida said that the real reason the Vita isn't being supported is because consumer expectations simply can't be met.

"We are not making games like Killzone: Mercenary, big budget Vita games, anymore. The expectations of the graphical quality and size of the world for these types of games have risen after the launch of PlayStation 4. The same thing happened with the PlayStation Portable. People were so excited to be able to play PlayStation 2 graphics games on the go. After PlayStation 3 launched, expectations grew. The types of games on PSP were not as attractive."

He then went on to say that the system's future rests in indies and cross-buy titles. What do you make of the executive's comments? Don't abandon something that works perfectly fine and isn't even that old in the comments below.

http://www.pushsquare.com/news/2015...g_vita_games_because_of_consumer_expectations

2. BazTardoUK

BazTardoUK Baz Blatter Staff Member Sterling Toss Award Pour me... another Most likely to pass out at a meetup Most likely to Rage Quit Game Night Host 2016 Game Completionist

Not really sure what he means. Borderlands worked on the Vita perfectly, and you don't get a much bigger world than that.

Basically what they mean is the money isn't there. Doesn't matter how good the game is they make, the sales aren't there to make it worthwhile.

thedamnedunited likes this.
  3. schatuk

schatuk Staff Member Voted Best Admin By Members Outstanding Contribution to GOs 2016 Game Completionist Most Helpful Member

This

4. Djchristy

Djchristy COD Hater Worst FPS Player Useless Game Night Host 2016 Game Completionist

Agree with baz it's all down to sales and sadly there just not there!!

5. TalllPaul

Top Poster Of Month

Not very happy they are blaming the consumer for them not making titles though, Gran Turismo Portable for example was one of the biggest selling PSP games with over 4 million sold and that was in 2013 when the PS3 had been out for a while.

Saying that, not sure how well Killzone Mercenary sold.

On another note, Sony CEO of Spain has said that the Vita has sold 600,000 handhelds whereas the PS4 is at 700,000 http://thevitalounge.net/2015/06/18...ystation-spain-ceo-wants-support-to-continue/

6. Kail1967

Kail1967 Most likely to Rage Quit

Lowering the price of their bloody memory cards would have helped too.

7. BazTardoUK

BazTardoUK Baz Blatter Staff Member Sterling Toss Award Pour me... another Most likely to pass out at a meetup Most likely to Rage Quit Game Night Host 2016 Game Completionist

That's probably where they're making their money.

8. Djchristy

Djchristy COD Hater Worst FPS Player Useless Game Night Host 2016 Game Completionist

Price of the memory cards where always a joke!

9. GiftedGimp

GiftedGimp Wastes loads of time on forum

Don't know whays more insulting, The fact that Consumers are to blame for expecting too much now the Ps4 is out..
    Which is complete bullshit, nobody expects the Vita to provide games upto the the quality of Ps4
    Or that Sony think thier Consumers are so dumb as to not see Sony have been trying to abandon the Vita for the past 18-24 months, (as quietly as possible) apart from giving it a final push to increase sales by marketing the Vita as a companion device for Ps4, (which failed).

Vita is a great device, but Typical Sony fucked it from release with Proprietary over expensive memory cards, lack of AAA game support and although pushing it as a remote play device for Ps3 and Ps4 deciding that the control inputs on the Vita don't match the control inputs of the Ds3 or 4 by leaving out the analog triggers making remote play awkward on most Non indie Ps3/4 games.

But We, the Consumers are to blame for expecting too much.

Kail1967 and TalllPaul like this.
  10. Kail1967

Think after the vita, move and PS TV I think I'm done with buying anything other than their consoles.

LesTom1, thedamnedunited and zoglug like this.
  11. Djchristy

You say that now but like the rest of us when something new comes out it's hard to resist it :)

12. GiftedGimp

Tbh Being told basically its my, as a consumer, fault that Sony doesn't want to support Vita anymore is as I say insulting.
    So much that had I not invested so much money on digital purchases on Ps4 I probably would jump ship.
    First time I I've regretted going digital on gaming since owning my WiiU, let alone Ps4.

Major rule of business... Don't insult your customer Base.

Kail1967 likes this.
  13. Kail1967

Not anymore, especially with Sony products. Apart from the ps3 and ps4 the other Sony products I have or had have either been next to useless or forgotten about by Sony.
    Next big thing by Sony will be Morpheous, that's one bit of tech of theirs I won't be buying.

Sent from my Nexus 7

14. TalllPaul

Top Poster Of Month

They have to be clever with Morpheous especially when people have purchased the Vita and Move that haven't got the best support, if they release Morpheous so expensive nobody will buy it thus making less and less supported by devs. Not to mention 3D.

15. sec71

sec71 Most profane language Most likely to Rage Quit Voted Angriest member 2016

Call me cynical but they've hardly got a great record with their peripherals!
    So with that in mind Morpheous although great tech with endless possibilities is Doomed to fail!

Doomed I tells ya'
    Cue "maniacal laugh"

Sent from the back of beyond

GiftedGimp likes this.
  16. BazTardoUK

Morpheus will be expensive, purchases will. Be limited. Game support will soon die.

That's what I expect anyway.

Sent from Tapatalk using my Xperia Z3

LesTom1 and GiftedGimp like this.
  17. morton027

morton027 Always around

This. Unless it's reasonably priced no one (insignificant numbers at best) will buy it, if it doesn't get the buyers who's going to support it with compatibility for their games?

18. GiftedGimp

It's the old catch 22 problem that's blighted all periphery since the NES Zapper.

People dont buy in because of lack of games and wait to see what support it gets.
    Devs/Publishers don't make games for peripherals much beyond initial launch because untill there's a big enough user Base it's not worth investing time/money creating games locked to said peripheral.

19. adwan

adwan Regular

I can mind of understand where they are coming from. I got massively underwhelmed by the quality of the games that were supposed to be AAA even before the PS4. When they struggle to meet the quality of games we see on tablets, that are similar price or sometimes cheaper then they will struggle. The games on tablets cost less,the memory cards cost less. The vita will always lose. It can't compete unless we had truly amazing console style games, but it can't achieve them. I will never buy a mobile gaming device again. PSP let me down, so did Vita.

As for Morpheus, I actually think this could be different. A VR headset doesn't need standalone games, it will play existing games, just programmed for it better. Imagine playing FPS games that give you a better freedom of vision movement.

This is a VR tech demo from Crytek, and its impressive. Imagine that what plays there is the only ttjing you can see or hear. Can see how VR would work really well on games like Destiny, CoD etc. Plus it frees you from the TV.

20. EzyRambo

EzyRambo Wastes loads of time on forum

Vita Is a great machine, however I always said it was a flop on here and often some people said I was talking nonsense and that it was a success......

I don't need to say anymore.

Frodo likes this.