1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Rumour: Discless S preorders start in April

Discussion in 'Xbox One' started by TalllPaul, Mar 6, 2019.

1. TalllPaul

TalllPaul Outstanding Contribution to GOs

First detailed by Brad Sams of Thurrott.com, Microsoft has been experimenting with a disc-less Xbox One S console codenamed Xbox Maverick, with a launch window thought to be around Q1 2019. According to our sources, we now know a little bit more about the timing and marketing name of this intriguing new console.

Microsoft is reportedly set to call the disc-less Maverick console the "Xbox One S All-Digital Edition," with preorders aiming for mid-April 2019 and with general availability coming in early May 2019. It looks as though it could be near-global simultaneous launch for almost all existing Xbox markets.

The disc-less Xbox One S would be a first for the company, offering fans the ability to ditch discs altogether and go all-in on digital game licenses. As Microsoft pushes for greater access to its game library via things like the Xbox Game Pass digital subscription and the incoming streaming service Project xCloud, dropping the disc drive from the "All-Digital Edition" should make it the cheapest Xbox console yet, although we have no word on pricing just yet or whether the console will see any design refinements beyond simply dropping the disc drive.

In addition to the disc-less Xbox One S All-Digital Edition, we've heard Microsoft may be gearing up to announce a Fortnite Edition console with a custom Fortnite design, rather than a simple game bundle. It's unclear whether the Fortnite console would be a regular S, an X, or a disc-less version at this time, but we'll keep you posted as soon as we know more.

As always with these sorts of rumors, take them with a pinch of salt until the official confirmation, as plans can and do change, but this is looking pretty solid right now. Losing the disc drive puts a limit on the amount of 4K content you can consume on Xbox, particularly outside of the USA where 4K digital video offerings are lacking compared to physical 4K Blu-ray discs. But going all-digital brings benefits like pre-loading of games, and instant refunds via the Microsoft Account page.

Whether or not the discless future will extend to the rumored next-gen Xbox Anaconda and Lockhart "Scarlett" range consoles remains to be seen, but if the All-Digital Edition proves successful, it may tip Microsoft's hand.

https://www.windowscentral.com/xbox-one-s-all-digital-edition-preorder

2. BazTardoUK

BazTardoUK Baz Blatter Staff Member Sterling Toss Award Pour me... another Most likely to pass out at a meetup Most likely to Rage Quit Game Night Host 2016 Game Completionist

Quick test to see what interest people have in this kind of system ready for next gen?

3. lankz92

lankz92 Game Night Host 2016 Game Completionist

Id be interested in getting one for herself. Although considering the S is only about €170. They need to bring this in super cheap.

However going forward if sony was to do something similar i happily buy one with and one without, im not sure if theres been a disk in her playstation in the last 5 or so years since i got the second one lol.

4. Djchristy

Djchristy COD Hater Worst FPS Player Useless Game Night Host 2016 Game Completionist

Top Poster Of Month

That's definitely the idea of this and there's definitely a market for it once the price is right. I'd say this will be priced at no more then €100

Sent from my SM-G955F using Tapatalk

5. TalllPaul

I might get an Xbox if it is that price , no doubt @solidslug would get another aswell :p

Although with next gen around the corner...prob a bitr pointless.

6. solidslug

solidslug 2016 Game Completionist

Haha no thanks. Going forward tho I'd get a discless console next gen. Cant remember last time I purchased a disc game. Plus if it saves money on the console hardware wise without sacrificing the power etc then it can only be a good thing

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

Djchristy likes this.
  7. Ficklered

Ficklered Best Intro

This.

Miss the trading in aspect, but definately enjoying the lazy cunt side :)

8. TalllPaul

9. BazTardoUK

BazTardoUK Baz Blatter Staff Member Sterling Toss Award Pour me... another Most likely to pass out at a meetup Most likely to Rage Quit Game Night Host 2016 Game Completionist

They've revealed nothing other than a guess at release date. Surely someone made those pictures up as I expect the box to look more different than just the disc slot missing, otherwise it's just going to have a silly empty bit inside.

10. Djchristy

Djchristy COD Hater Worst FPS Player Useless Game Night Host 2016 Game Completionist

Top Poster Of Month

You'd imagine it should be a good bit smaller but I do think they'll keep the look of the S for it.

11. schatuk

schatuk Staff Member Voted Best Admin By Members Outstanding Contribution to GOs 2016 Game Completionist Most Helpful Member

12. solidslug

solidslug 2016 Game Completionist

Should have made it an X which would have made it cheaper and more accessible for people. Rather than an S

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

13. TalllPaul

Confirmed, $249, 1TB, comes with minecraft, FH3 and SoT. It will always be $50 cheaper than the standard S, so if the S goes in sale, so does the discless version.

14. Djchristy

Top Poster Of Month

Still to expensive I definitely thought it would come in around €150 over here. You can pick up an S for less then €200 most weeks.

15. BazTardoUK

Too expensive. Might as well buy the disc version so you have both options.

16. Djchristy

Top Poster Of Month

Anybody pick one of these up?

17. BazTardoUK

Don't know anyone at all that did .

18. Djchristy

Top Poster Of Month

Don't think I've seen a single person on my timeline on Twitter who has got one. Think the price of it wouldn't of help its sales.

19. EzyRambo

EzyRambo Wastes loads of time on forum

Why would anyone buy one if they already got an xbox one....unless you’re Cartie, he’s probably bought one.

As it’s also a Blu-ray player I don’t know why you would want to miss out on that option.

20. Djchristy

Top Poster Of Month

Think this is just more of a test the waters and see what people say about it sort of thing. So they've an idea of how to approach there discless next gen console.