1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Psvita A "legacy Platform"

Discussion in 'PS Vita General' started by TalllPaul, May 28, 2015.

1. TalllPaul

TalllPaul Outstanding Contribution to GOs

Andrew House referred to the PlayStation Vita and its home microconsole equivalent, the PlayStation TV, as “legacy platforms” during his presentation at Sony's 2015 Investor Relations Day.

House painted a grim picture for Sony’s dedicated handheld market as he forecasted a decrease in PlayStation’s portable business in fiscal year 2015, “notably in the US & EU.”

Meanwhile in Asia and Japan, the PlayStation Vita remains “pretty strong and vibrant,” House remarked.

The continued downturn in PlayStation Vita sales comes as no surprise as the portable console has found tough competition from Nintendo’s 3DS handhelds and, of course, the mobile gaming market.

The platform failed to gain sales traction in the West even after big first-party exclusives like Uncharted: Golden Abyss, Killzone: Mercenary, Tearaway or major third-party offerings such as Call of Duty: Black Ops Declassified and Borderlands. Without a significant install base, the Vita provides little incentive for studios to develop games for it. Japan has seen stronger Vita sales and thus a significantly larger software library.

Positioning the Vita as a PS4 accessory for its Share Play feature last year unfortunately did not help boost its numbers either. The PlayStation TV appears to be a flop as Western retailers continue to heavily discount the microconsole less than 9 months since its launch.

http://www.psu.com/news/26899/PlayS...-platform-in-the-West-says-Sonys-Andrew-House

2. BazTardoUK

BazTardoUK Baz Blatter Staff Member Sterling Toss Award Pour me... another Most likely to pass out at a meetup Most likely to Rage Quit Game Night Host 2016 Game Completionist

It's doing well in Japan because they still release plenty of games. We only get a few of those and that's usually after people have kicked up a bit of fuss for them.

The system doesn't necessarily need more AAA games, but just more good games. Seems to be full of indie stuff that only a select few are interested in.

Not used mine for a long time now. Kids were last to have a go, on Minecraft I think.

3. xknikki91x

xknikki91x Always around

Still use mine and enjoy it, mind you I can't play the stupid Golf game.

4. adwan

adwan Regular

The problem is, westerners are much less out with their gaming habits than they are in Japan. His many people do you see playing portable consoles on public transport in the UK?

Also, we have much more of mindset of why pay £100 plus on a portable console plus £30 plus on games when your iPhone/iPad/android device will do just the same, if not better in most cases.

The Vita's lack of internal memory and the ridiculous use of a specific, expensive memory card (again Sony?) didn't help either.

Remote play also doesn't work unless you are pretty much in the same room as the ps4. In which case I can use my tablets bigger screen and the hacked remote play app. And it works better.

5. Djchristy

Djchristy COD Hater Worst FPS Player Useless Game Night Host 2016 Game Completionist

Top Poster Of Month

Anyone taking any bets on PSVita 2 revealed at E3 ;)

It's a shame it hasn't done well over here because it's such a good gaming device..

thing's that have let it down from launch are Price, no internal storage, way over priced memory cards and lack of more well known game's after the first couple of months.
    All of these things are sony's own fault.

thedamnedunited likes this.
  6. Coopersleftpeg

Coopersleftpeg Regular

Can't disagree with any of these points and its a real shame as this is a great wee handheld regardless of the faults.

What's killed it off now is no real game releases as the majority aren't interested in Indie games I know I'm not.

The two best games I've played on it are Killzone and Uncharted which have been out for years and says it all really.

thedamnedunited and Djchristy like this.
  7. Djchristy

Djchristy COD Hater Worst FPS Player Useless Game Night Host 2016 Game Completionist

Top Poster Of Month

Killzone & uncharted are definitely two of the best game's on it i enjoy Lego game's so the Vita is a perfect fit for them.

Sent from my E6653 using Tapatalk

8. Coopersleftpeg

Coopersleftpeg Regular

Aye they've been pretty good and got the majority of them free from PS Plus Gravity Rush was another really good game.

9. BazTardoUK

BazTardoUK Baz Blatter Staff Member Sterling Toss Award Pour me... another Most likely to pass out at a meetup Most likely to Rage Quit Game Night Host 2016 Game Completionist

With Killzone and Uncharted, the Vita showed what it was capable. It also showed that those games couldn't sell the Vita.

After that, no other really good games came.

10. Djchristy

Top Poster Of Month

Plenty of good game's just not what people would call AAA game's.

11. musiclynx

musiclynx Most dedicated Game Night host Game Night Host

I still have Final Fantasy X and X-2 to play plus Persona 4 but I'm holding off until I'm done with Skyrim. But I think my Vita will get plenty of use this year.

Djchristy likes this.
  12. Coopersleftpeg

Coopersleftpeg Regular

Unfortunately yes I think this was a real missed opportunity with a great handheld console

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

13. BazTardoUK

Seen nothing for a long time that has made me charge my Vita. If it gets used now, it's by the kids for Vita.

14. Coopersleftpeg

Coopersleftpeg Regular

Last year or so I've only used it while travelling it doesn't come out in the house anymore.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

15. Hoovernaut

Hoovernaut Nicest Member 2016

Still use mine, loved Killzone and Uncharted - Tearaway was a great little game too, currently playing Dragons Crown which is pretty good. Still got FF X and X-2, MGS, and a few other games still to go through so it won't be confined to the bin just yet.

Its a shame it didn't sell more it really is great bit of kit.

Adwan's point is a valid one, most people play on their phone these days, I rarely saw a Vita or even a DS when I worked in town.

16. SirStuie

SirStuie Always around

Never saw an adult with a DS or Vita when I commuted to London, did see a PSP once though.

The games people say are good (KZ, Uncharted) sound terrible to use on public transport. I only remember using my DS while on holiday or at home tbh.

17. Djchristy

Top Poster Of Month

I use my Vita most of the time while on my breaks at work and maybe on holiday's.

18. Coopersleftpeg

Coopersleftpeg Regular

I
    I use mine while travelling I'm not getting rid of it as I'd only get pennies for it now still find myself going back to games on it I had 3 years ago.

There were some real disappointments on it COD and Resistance for example were absolute dog shit.

Djchristy likes this.
  19. Djchristy

Top Poster Of Month

Only good thing about resistance was it's an easy platinum

Best shooter was killzone IMO

20. Coopersleftpeg

Coopersleftpeg Regular

Had a clean out of the games on my VITA and Redownloaded MGS hopefully its not bad for a long haul flight later in the year.