1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

PS5 Dev Kits In The Wild

Discussion in 'Playstation 4' started by TalllPaul, Jan 30, 2019.

1. TalllPaul

TalllPaul Outstanding Contribution to GOs

I would say rumour but I think we all know they are probably out there without any proof anyway.

To some, it may seem too soon to start talking about the next generation of consoles. After all, the PS4 is doing amazingly, recently reaching over 90 million units sold. However, with the PS4 coming up on its sixth birthday, it’s no question that development for PS5 is slowly ramping up as a priority for first-party studios. An analyst named Daniel Ahmed, who works at market research company Niko Partners, seems to have the scoop on PS5 and how SIE is approaching its development.

Ahmed stated on a ResetEra thread:

PS5 dev kits are out there and I’ve heard positive things about it. But I wouldn’t expect any information in the immediate future. 2019 will be another solid year for the platform due to the large install base, growing network sales, strong third party software, first party software and back catalog. Lineup for the first half of the year is set but second half is still in flux. Sony also has a couple of unannounced games (already existing IP) with PS4 in mind but I’m conscious that there have been discussions around making them cross gen/next gen titles. In general, most of the focus for Sony 1P is on PS5 right now. It is still early to talk about next gen but I imagine we’ll hear some whispers come out of GDC.

Many are expecting to get an announcement for the new system this year, with perhaps a 2020 release window for a PlayStation 5. With Sony skipping PSX 2018 and E3 2019, the mystery surrounding the company’s plans for the future is uncertain. As it takes the lead in the console-sphere, it has an opportunity to start the next generation off on the right foot and continue its success.

Read more at https://www.playstationlifestyle.ne...-going-out-to-developers/#I0GTfjwwqaZb6hoi.99

2. BazTardoUK

BazTardoUK Baz Blatter Staff Member Sterling Toss Award Pour me... another Most likely to pass out at a meetup Most likely to Rage Quit Game Night Host 2016 Game Completionist

Sure I read yesterday that most exclusive developers are concentrating on next gen games now, so makes sense dev kits would be out there.

3. Djchristy

Djchristy COD Hater Worst FPS Player Useless Game Night Host 2016 Game Completionist

Top Poster Of Month

Definitely feel like we'll at least hear something for sony about it this year with a release next year. There has to be a really good reason for sony missing E3.

Sent from my SM-G955F using Tapatalk

4. TalllPaul

TalllPaul Outstanding Contribution to GOs

The PS5 will launch during Sony's next financial year, which would see the next-generation games console hit shelves worldwide before March 31, 2020.

That's according to renown analyst Amir Anvarzadeh of Asymmetric Advisors Pte., who told Bloomberg that he believes that slowing growth in the Sony games division "signals a very likely PS5 launch for next fiscal year"

That slowing growth is due to fewer PlayStation 4 consoles and games being sold. Given that the Sony PS4 is now headed into its sixth consecutive year on the market, this is hardly surprisingly. However, the drop has caused Sony's operating income in games to fall 14 per cent and slashed 8.1 per cent from its stock price.

Clearly, that is not an insignificant drop and will likely worry Sony, which needs its PlayStation business to remain strong in the face of continued decline in its smartphone division.

Declining sales typically points to a console nearing the end of its lifecycle. Clearly, one of the best ways for Sony to halt this decline and kickstart new interest in its home console is fresh hardware, hence why analysts are now forecasting a Sony PS5 launch sometime during the next financial year.

Now, with Sony's next financial year due to close on March 31, 2020 and the firm looking to generate a massive injection of growth into its PlayStation business to stem its current decline, it seems only logical that it will want to release the console in time for the biggest consumer event of the financial year – Christmas.

Sure, Sony could launch the PlayStation 5 in early 2020, maybe in a March slot like Nintendo did with the Nintendo Switch or Sony itself planned for the PlayStation 2.

However, when you look at the company's previous two console release dates (PS4 on November 15, 2013, and PS3 on November 11, 2006) it seems like Sony now favours a release just in time for the Christmas shopping rush. A Christmas release date for the PS5 could also make for some blockbuster discounts on the PS4 in the few weeks before the new console launches – another sure-fire sales boost.

While nothing is officially confirmed, there have been multiple stories now that indicated that the PS5 could be launching as early as this year at Christmas, with loyal PlayStation gamers crowing over their Xbox counterparts and unwrapping brand new PlayStation 5 consoles come Xmas morning.

Whether or not this latest analyst call proves accurate remains to be seen, but if Sony is truly worried about losing money because of its declining PS4 market, then the PS5 could very well be with us sooner than anyone expected.

While Sony has pulled out of E3 2019 – ruling out a reveal at the show – hopefully we will hear something about it at a dedicated Sony-only event, or PSX 2019.

https://www.t3.com/news/ps5-release...playstation-5-clue-points-to-launch-this-year

Djchristy and solidslug like this.
  5. Djchristy

Djchristy COD Hater Worst FPS Player Useless Game Night Host 2016 Game Completionist

Top Poster Of Month

If they're thinking about launching this year you'd imagine we'd be starting to get the tease from sony. Add to that they're not hitting E3 this year that could be a bad move if you plan on a launch in November.

6. BazTardoUK

BazTardoUK Baz Blatter Staff Member Sterling Toss Award Pour me... another Most likely to pass out at a meetup Most likely to Rage Quit Game Night Host 2016 Game Completionist

Unless they’re going to announce it at a one off event? If it’s going to be released in their next financial year, its got to be end of this year in time for Christmas sales.

Djchristy likes this.
  7. Djchristy

Top Poster Of Month

From memory I do think they did a one off event for the PS4 but only showed the controller and had the box reveal at E3.

8. schatuk

schatuk Staff Member Voted Best Admin By Members Outstanding Contribution to GOs 2016 Game Completionist Most Helpful Member

I’m 100% certain they aren’t.

The announce was at a special event in Feb 2013 with a launch in a November 2013, but we knew about the event from the New Year and cast iron reports were circulating in 2012. I think we’re nailed on for 2020. That’ll give the PS4 7 full years of primary life which is about right

Djchristy and Officer_Cartman like this.
  9. Djchristy

Top Poster Of Month

Have to say I agree it definitely seem like they'd be rushing it out to get ready for launch this November.

10. SirStuie

SirStuie Always around

CPU can definitely be improved, but graphics cards have been quite stagnant especially when compared to the xbone X.
    I stuggle to think what gimmick they can add to make me pick one up in the first couple of years and by then I would be thinking about picking up a possible revised console.

11. Djchristy

Top Poster Of Month

You'll be like the rest of us and buy it because it's new and shiny