1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

PS4 Cross Play In Demand

Discussion in 'Playstation 4' started by TalllPaul, Feb 9, 2019.

1. TalllPaul

TalllPaul Outstanding Contribution to GOs

Sony released PS4 cross play beta last year and opened it up for Fortnite and later on Rocket League and it seems more devs are asking for access and aren't happy they have to wait.

It's also interesting to see some stats that cross-play improves (I haven't really been bothered about cross play but didn't even think about these improvements).

2. GiftedGimp

GiftedGimp Wastes loads of time on forum

Ok I'm the first to admit had the situation been reversed this gen between PlayStation and Xbox MS would be doing what Sony are doing, reluctantly letting crossplay be a thing slowly on their platform.
    But given how the industry want it and gamers want it Sony really do need to get on board with the Crossplay.
    More and More games are being made to use crossplay, it's soon going to be the norm and if Sony are the only ones not fully supporting crossplay by the time next gen systems are released then next gen they could lose out in a big way.
    And Yes, this comment would of been made for MS had this gen been the other way around.

Sent from my SM-A530F using Tapatalk

3. Djchristy

Djchristy COD Hater Worst FPS Player Useless Game Night Host 2016 Game Completionist

Top Poster Of Month

Would it Really I don't believe it

Only joking bud I don't fully understand Cross play but in my eyes i can see why a company would try and hold off on it with the possibility of lost revenue due to people not buying stuff on there system.

Sent from my SM-G955F using Tapatalk

GiftedGimp likes this.
  4. GiftedGimp

GiftedGimp Wastes loads of time on forum

I understand it from a business pov.. but the way the industry is changing, for better and worse, it I can only see it as a short term gain.

Maybe Sony are just waiting till ps5 to fully embrace Crossplay.

Sent from my SM-A530F using Tapatalk

Djchristy likes this.
  5. Djchristy

Djchristy COD Hater Worst FPS Player Useless Game Night Host 2016 Game Completionist

Top Poster Of Month

That's definitely possible because at the start of a generation everyone is on an equal playing field so kinda makes sense to push this kinda thing.

6. Officer_Cartman

Officer_Cartman Admin Staff Member Magpie Award Voted Best Admin By Members Voted Biggest Whinger 2016

devs want it as it lowers their costs
    why have different servers for different platforms when they can all be one
    also player count is higher and a higher quality matchmaking system

schatuk likes this.
  7. BazTardoUK

BazTardoUK Baz Blatter Staff Member Sterling Toss Award Pour me... another Most likely to pass out at a meetup Most likely to Rage Quit Game Night Host 2016 Game Completionist

Open servers across platforms is fine, I think Sony’s main objection is people want to use the same game and character on numerous systems. So if you buy an Xbox season pass on Fortnite for example, people still want all the gear on PS4 (or vice versa), yet there’s nothing in it for the other system.

Djchristy likes this.
  8. TalllPaul

TalllPaul Outstanding Contribution to GOs

Layden has commented saying they are open to allowing devs all they need to do is ask Sony or their account manager, another dev hs responded saying this isnt true, so either someone is lying or the communication is broken somewhere along the process:

Though Sony did eventually enable the feature for Fortnite as part of a beta, and later for Rocket League, the general perception among fans is that Sony is picking and choosing which games and developers should get the feature.

According to Layden, this is not true.

“People keep saying, ‘Why doesn’t Sony allow more people to have it?’ We’re open for business on this one. All it takes is for publishers and developers who wish to permission it. As ever, just work with your PlayStation account manager, and they will walk you through the steps that we’ve learned through our partnership with Epic on how this works.

“I don’t believe right now there is any gating factor on that. I think they’re open to make proposals, because the Fortnite thing worked pretty well.”

Following the publication of the interview, the CEO of Chucklefish, who recently published Wargroove, shared their experience of asking Sony to enable the feature for their game. For reference, Wargroove launched with cross-platform support for PC, Xbox One, and Switch.

“We made many requests for crossplay (both through our account manager and directly with higher ups) all the way up until release month. We were told in no uncertain terms that it was not going to happen,” they wrote on ResetEra.

“From our side, we can literally toggle a switch and have it working. Of course policy work might be more complicated for Sony.

“Just wanted to provide some balance on the issue and say that it certainly isn’t a question of developers having not contacted their account managers or having dropped the ball. We were told no.”

Djchristy likes this.
  9. Djchristy

Top Poster Of Month

I think you're spot on Baz it's all about the season passes and stuff.