1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

N64 - 20 Years Old Today!

Discussion in 'Retro Gaming' started by zoglug, Jun 23, 2016.

1. zoglug

zoglug Xmas Quiz Winner 2016 Game Completionist

The N64 released 20 years ago today, in Japan! Though it took a whole 9 months longer to release in the UK it is still one of my favourite consoles of all time!

http://kotaku.com/the-nintendo-64-turns-20-years-old-today-1782474917

I have to ask though, for anyone that played the console, what are your favourite games?

I shall post mine later!

2. schatuk

schatuk Staff Member Voted Best Admin By Members Outstanding Contribution to GOs 2016 Game Completionist Most Helpful Member

Captain Obvious reporting in.

Goldeneye

zoglug likes this.
  3. Kail1967

Kail1967 Most likely to Rage Quit

None, never understood the whole Nintendo thing.

4. BazTardoUK

BazTardoUK Baz Blatter Staff Member Sterling Toss Award Pour me... another Most likely to pass out at a meetup Most likely to Rage Quit Game Night Host 2016 Game Completionist

I'm with Kail, none, Nintendo has never been of interest to me.

5. zoglug

I am very, very surprised, however I do understand! Whilst I do love Nintendo, I am not that much of a fanboy to force it down other peoples necks!

5 of my favourites are:-

1) Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time - Simply amazing, one of, if not the best Zelda games ever and possibly one of the best adventure style games in my eyes. - I would have put Legend of Zelda: Majora's Mask here, as it takes every thing great about Zelda and makes it even better! Fantastic story, excellent characters and great dungeon design! However, shockingly I have not finished the game, which needs to be put right!

2) Mario Kart 64, social gaming at its best. I spent many hours playing this game, with actual people as well! Snowboard kids comes a close 2nd to this for social gaming!

3) Blastcorps - Using vehicles to create a path by destroying buildings and bridging gaps for a runaway nuclear missile carrier! Simple premise, tough as hell game to finish!

4) Super Mario 64 - The greatest 3d platform game ever? I believe so. The level design was great and the overall setting being pictures within Peach's castle was brilliant!

5) Resident Evil 2 - The ability to cram that game onto a single cartridge and make it look good was amazing! Plus, its a fantastic game and I didnt have a Playstation at the time!

Honourable mentions:-

Paper Mario, Pilotwings, Banjo Kazooie, Goldeneye, Turok, Wave Race 64, Body Harvest, Perfect Dark, Beetle Adventure Racing, Goldeneye, Smash Bros and too many others to list!

Last edited: Jun 23, 2016
  6. Ficklered

Ficklered Best Intro

Had a second hand 64 for a couple of months. Mario cart, Zelda and a wrestling game I vaguely remember. Sold it for what I paid and picked up a PS1 and a new external drive for my PC instead. Do remember the controller was pretty comfortable once I'd got used to it.

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk

zoglug likes this.
  7. SirStuie

SirStuie Always around

I'll add Rogue Squadron.

zoglug likes this.
  8. musiclynx

musiclynx Most dedicated Game Night host Game Night Host

Oldest daughter came to pick up her's from our house last month because she wanted to play "Ocarina of time" and "Majora's mask" again.

zoglug likes this.
  9. LastRytes

LastRytes Grammar Nazi 2016 Game Completionist

Some great games for this console.

Goldeneye
    Perfect Dark
    Conkers Bad Fur Day
    Mario 64
    I.S.S. 2000
    I.S.S.
    Pokemon snap
    Legend of Zelda OoT
    Legend of zelda Majoras mask
    F-Zero
    Diddy Kong racing
    Mario Golf
    Mario Tennis

It was a truly great console. The last cartridge console??? Could get some quality looking special edition versions and special edition controllers too. Many an hour spent on this.

Goldeneye was a cut above though. Having bots in MP is something that is sorely missed these days...

xknikki91x and zoglug like this.
  10. zoglug

It was indeed the last cartridge console!

It is hands down my favourite console of all time! Such a great mix of games on it, loved the weird shaped joypad and actually still play it now! Fuck Fifa 16, its all about I.S.S!

11. LastRytes

LastRytes Grammar Nazi 2016 Game Completionist

I.s.s. Was quality. If you can pick up a copy of 2000 mate get it. You've not played anything like that.

12. CpC Patrese

CpC Patrese Regular

wave race 64, that game was quality

zoglug likes this.
  13. xknikki91x

xknikki91x Always around

20 Years ago :eek::eek::eek:

Was working in the games industry at the time and someone manged to get one, so after the Christmas party at 5 in the morning about 20 of us were in the hotel room playing F-Zero :D

Halcyon days.

zoglug likes this.
  14. WRETRO

WRETRO Always around

My daughter had one and loved her mario party game more than the rest in her tiny collection.
    Loved the games she had but wanted the graphics to be sharp not like it was all soft focus.

15. SirStuie

SirStuie Always around

On the flip side I also remember buying an awful rally game for £60 that pretty much killed the console for me on anything but surefire hits. Definitely the console I owned the least games for.