1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Microsoft abandons plans for VR/AR on Xbox.

Discussion in 'Xbox One' started by Kail1967, Jun 24, 2018.

1. Kail1967

Kail1967 Most likely to Rage Quit

https://www.overclock3d.net/news/gpu_displays/microsoft_abandons_vr_plans_for_xbox_one/1

It appears that Microsoft have ditched plans to bring VR or AR to the Xbox console, despite VR being listed as a goal for the X when it was first revealed and Microsoft teaming up with Oculus Rift.

According to the piece on overclock3d linked above, Xbox's Chief Marketing Officer Mike Nichols has said that Xbox "don't have any plans specific to Xbox consoles in virtual reality or mixed reality". Also adding "Our perspective on it has been and continues to be that the PC is probably the best platform for more immersive VR and MR".

overclock3d go on to say "This change in direction is likely due to Sony's limited success in the VR market, with VR gaming having a much smaller impact than many gamers and developers expected".

Me personally, I'm not too bothered as I prefer them to keep their focus on its games, studio's and next console development. Any other Xbox owners too fussed or was their anyone thinking of picking one up if they had developed one?

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk

solidslug likes this.
  2. solidslug

solidslug 2016 Game Completionist

I forgot they were ment to be doing one. Not bothered about it at all.

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

3. Djchristy

Djchristy COD Hater Worst FPS Player Useless Game Night Host 2016 Game Completionist

Top Poster Of Month

Had a good chat in discord the other day about this and don't want to go over it again

I'd personally like them to try something with VR because it could push sony to pump move stuff out for PSVR.

Sent from my SM-G955F using Tapatalk

4. Pagey81

Pagey81 Always around

It’s a couple of generations too early in my opinion for VR.

GiftedGimp likes this.
  5. HomerRamone

HomerRamone Member

I have a PSVR.. and theres some canny stuff. My biggest worry is that the stuff that would lend itself to VR can have most issues.
    EG Resident Evil. Atmosphere is outstanding and its the most game like game I have played in VR.. However, 30-40 mins and I have to turn it off.
    Sure I can change the settings to reduce the nausea, but then its not nearly as immersive and not how I want to play.
    Skyrim felt the same to a lesser degree. Think it was worse inside... which explains why RE is like that always, because its all inside IYSWIM.

I quite like the experience stuff too - but that needs to be pretty cheap really because there's way less replay value.

6. lankz92

lankz92 Game Night Host 2016 Game Completionist

See i never felt off playing anything (well apart from some drunken space fighting in eve. Bit of advice dont start doing barrel rolls when your full :roflmao: )

Played through RE7 in 2 sittings. One of the best games i played on the VR.
    Anything seated works great. Dirt rally is very good, im just not into my racing games enough for it.
    I agree with skyrim tho, it was poor, graphics didnt hold up well at all and everything just felt dead.

Mines getting sold before september. I need cash and it just doesnt get used because im lazy and cba setting it up :roflmao:

7. HomerRamone

HomerRamone Member

Setting up is deffo a pita. Its not especially hard or anything (though I do have to fart on getting my camera out each time)
    Think its one of the reasons I dont use it as much as I should.