1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Confirmed PlayStation 5 details

Discussion in 'Playstation 4' started by TalllPaul, Apr 16, 2019.

1. LastRytes

LastRytes Grammar Nazi 2016 Game Completionist

Now don’t start this again...

Djchristy and BazTardoUK like this.
  2. Blue__1981

Blue__1981 Best FPS Player

Would it be hard to do cross gen surely its like cross platform?

3. schatuk

schatuk Staff Member Voted Best Admin By Members Outstanding Contribution to GOs 2016 Game Completionist Most Helpful Member

It's not the same because the cross-platform code-base is essentially the same - a PS4 and an XBox run on the same chipset so the instructions and timings are broadly similar and modern netcode is designed to be as far as possible platform agnostic. Both previous generations were different - the 360 only slightly, but the PS3 was totally unique. This can be seen in the way that BC for 360 - xb1 works with just a small software emulation wrapper, whilst Sony still haven't cracked a non-hardware solution for PS3 emulation (if they're even still trying which i doubt).

Good point, well presented.

4. Blue__1981

Blue__1981 Best FPS Player

I know this gen was a massive change in code and chips to ps3 but won't PS4 and PS5 have the same architecture just upgraded GPU and CPU so like upgrading a pc all the stuff should still work together so PS4 to PS5 play shouldn't be too difficult. I'm crap with computers so Im probably totally wrong

5. schatuk

schatuk Staff Member Voted Best Admin By Members Outstanding Contribution to GOs 2016 Game Completionist Most Helpful Member

Yeah PS4 to Ps5 crossgen will absolutely happen because you’ll be playing the exact same version of the game irrespective of platform, no different to on one s/one x.

People keep bringing up ps3 for some reason though. As I explained, this generation jump will not be like any we’ve had before, it’ll be more like getting a new, upgraded PC