1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

BBC Sports Personality of the Year - Your winner?

Discussion in 'Sport' started by BazTardoUK, Dec 13, 2012.

1. BazTardoUK

BazTardoUK Baz Blatter Staff Member Sterling Toss Award Pour me... another Most likely to pass out at a meetup Most likely to Rage Quit Game Night Host 2016 Game Completionist

The BBC Sports Personality of the Year award will be decided this Sunday and the competition is probably the toughest it's ever been. So much so in fact, they've increased shortlist to 12.

Who do you think will win it and why?

Here's the nominees:

Bradley Wiggins (Cyclist)
    Sir Chris Hoy (Cyclist)
    Andy Murray (Tennis)
    Jessica Ennis (Athlete)
    Mo Farah (Athlete)
    Katherine Grainger (Rower)
    Rory McIlroy (Golfer)
    Nicola Adams (Boxer)
    Ben Ainslie (Sailer)
    Sarah Storey (Paralympian)
    Ellie Simmonds (Paralympian)
    David Weir (Paralympian)

Me vote goes to Bradley Wiggins. Not entirely sure why when I think back, but I said before the Tour De France that he would win that and win this, and despite how well all the others have done over the last few months, I can't bring myself to change my mind.

2. schatuk

schatuk Staff Member Voted Best Admin By Members Outstanding Contribution to GOs 2016 Game Completionist Most Helpful Member

Yup, Wiggo. No brit has won the TdF ever in the hundred odd years of the competition. Also he's a funny, funny guy. The others are all incredible, strongest field in years, but for me, Wiggo

Second for me would be Ainslie, again for unprecedented achievement

Sent from my HTC One X+

3. Roddair

Roddair Regular

Between Bradley Wiggins and Andy Murray for me both phenominal years Andy had first grand slam for British tennis player in 71 years!! Plus gold and silver medals and Wimbledon final.

But If I had to put money on it I would think Bradley would just pip him for winner.

4. BazTardoUK

BazTardoUK Baz Blatter Staff Member Sterling Toss Award Pour me... another Most likely to pass out at a meetup Most likely to Rage Quit Game Night Host 2016 Game Completionist

Murray has had an amazing year and won himself loads of new fans, but I still think there's too many who dislike him to win the votes.

5. thedamnedunited

thedamnedunited Pro Gamer Staff Member Most likely to Rage Quit

My votes would be :

1. Bradley Wiggins (he is a great sportsman and actually has a personality)

2. Andy Murray ( 3 of my best sports viewings this year - Wimbledon losing finalist, Olympic Gold and US Open )

3. Rory McIlroy (Won lots of tournaments this year, a major and the Ryder Cup)

6. morton027

morton027 Always around

Wiggo for me, TdF win is an incredible achievement, even more so doing it clean among the revelations that have come out re: other competitors and a certain Mr Armstrong. To do that and get Olympic Gold, and also win Paris-Nice, the Tour de Romandie and the Criterium du Dauphine shows his domination of his sport this year.

7. SirStuie

SirStuie Always around

Great list this year. Im torn between Murray and Wiggins.

8. DigitalTwisted

DigitalTwisted Wastes loads of time on forum

Jessica Ennis or Mo Farah

9. BazTardoUK

So Bradley Wiggins won it and apparently won it convincingly with 30% of all the votes.

I also guessed right that Ennis would be 2nd, but was shocked (yet happy) to see Murray come 3rd. He's obviously earned himself a lot of new fans this year.

10. schatuk

schatuk Staff Member Voted Best Admin By Members Outstanding Contribution to GOs 2016 Game Completionist Most Helpful Member

Thought one of the paralympians might have nicked 3rd spot, either David Weir or Sarah Storey (Weir for me personally) but no, the British public stick with the familiar faces.

Not sure what exactly Ennis did to warrant second either, other than be eminently 'I would' - won a gold? Lots of people did that.

Other than Wiggo, the only able bodied athlete nominated who achieved anything truly unprecedented was Ainslie, as the first sailor to win medals at five Games and only the second in history (behind the legendary Paul Elvstrom) to win 4 golds

11. thedamnedunited

Yes - I thought it was pretty spot on, the top 3. 3 top athletes - all with a personality (yes - even Murray !)

I didn't realise the Olympic Team GB could win the team event. I was certain the Ryder Cup team would win it

12. schatuk

They changed the rules halfway through because the judges were unanimous apparently. That's why Team/Paralympic GB should have had a separate, one-off award - nobody else stood a chance. Any other year the RC boys would've walked it

13. thedamnedunited

Yes - a special award would have made sense

14. BazTardoUK

Personality has to come before achievement though. All those nominated were in our minds due to what they achieved, but the votes then went to those who people knew, be it due to their personalities, or because they've seen and heard more about them over the year.

15. schatuk

If personality was the key factor then why was Murray there? He's not the most personable chap. Just about anyone else on the list would've been better. If it's sporting achievement then others have exceeded his admittedly impressive achievements (and Ennis' for that matter)

It's a popularity poll of the leading athletes of the year, no more, no less and typically, fringe sports don't get a look in.

16. Roddair

Roddair Regular

I think it should be based on sporting achievement over personality but it is definitely a popularity vote that wins it. I mean Ryan Giggs won in 2009!!!! Jenson Button was F1 world champion that year and Giggs got the Manchester United supporters vote.

17. BazTardoUK

Anything that comes down to a public vote will always revolve around popularity. But that said, what makes someone popular? Personality is a big factor in that, so in a roundabout way it still comes back to the same thing.

I know that fans can play a big part in it as well, but I'm not convinced that Cycling is popular enough to give Wiggo the advantage over the likes of Tennis and the Olympics.