1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

76.5 Million PS4 Shipped as of December 31st

Discussion in 'Playstation 4' started by TalllPaul, Feb 2, 2018.

1. TalllPaul

TalllPaul Outstanding Contribution to GOs

Sony disclosed its financial results for the third quarter of fiscal year 2017, related to the period between October 1st and December 31st.

As usual, the announcement included an update on PS4 shipments. 9 million PS4 units reached retailers during the quarter, meaning that the grand total of lifetime shipments was at 76.5 million units by December 31st.

[​IMG]

Sony also provided a breakdown of the results of the Games & Network Services business segment, which is the combination of PlayStation and PlayStation Network.

Sales significantly increased year-on-year mostly due to network sales, and operating income also singnificantly increased.

Looking at Sony Corporation as a whole, you can find revenue and income figures below.

Last, but not least, Sony announced its forecast for the full fiscal year 2017, which ends on March 31st. The prediction for PS4 shipments remains 19 Million units, which would bring the lifetime total to 79 million units shipped.

“Sales are expected to be lower than the October forecast primarily due to the impact of a change in launch dates of certain software titles, as well as the impact of higher-than-expected sales of hardware at promotional prices during the holiday season. The forecast for operating income remains unchanged primarily due to a reduction in selling, general and administrative expenses, substantially offset by the impact of the above-mentioned decrease in sales.”

[​IMG]

2. BazTardoUK

BazTardoUK Baz Blatter Staff Member Sterling Toss Award Pour me... another Most likely to pass out at a meetup Most likely to Rage Quit Game Night Host 2016 Game Completionist

3. Djchristy

Djchristy COD Hater Worst FPS Player Useless Game Night Host 2016 Game Completionist

Top Poster Of Month

A little slow down is forecast so I predict we'll be getting a small hint about PS5 at E3 this year

Sent from my SM-G955F using Tapatalk

4. schatuk

schatuk Staff Member Voted Best Admin By Members Outstanding Contribution to GOs 2016 Game Completionist Most Helpful Member

Not for me Jeff. I would be astonished if we heard anything official before 2019

5. BazTardoUK

BazTardoUK Baz Blatter Staff Member Sterling Toss Award Pour me... another Most likely to pass out at a meetup Most likely to Rage Quit Game Night Host 2016 Game Completionist

Announicing PS5 this year will only slow sales down even more.

6. TalllPaul

Do they think they will get much more sales though from new users?

7. BazTardoUK

There will be more, but you're also going to get people who now need to renew their existing consoles, and would they bother if they thought PS5 was just around the corner?

8. TalllPaul

It's always going to be round the corner sometime though and you can't know when someone is going to renew. I think those who would have got a Pro for example probably already have one by now.

9. schatuk

schatuk Staff Member Voted Best Admin By Members Outstanding Contribution to GOs 2016 Game Completionist Most Helpful Member

Sony traditionally don’t do long hardware lead times, usually less than a year. IF you hear anything at all, and I still doubt that, it’ll be either at PSX or at a bespoke even towards the end of 2018/ early 2019. E3 no chance IMO.

Baz is right. Any new hardware announce kills current hardware sales stone dead and PS4 is still selling very respectably. Why throw money away?

10. Djchristy

Djchristy COD Hater Worst FPS Player Useless Game Night Host 2016 Game Completionist

Top Poster Of Month

If they hint at it this year for release next year that would make the PS4 6 Years old I think that's about the right timing this gen tbh.

11. schatuk

And it would only be 2 years after Pro launch.

Can’t see it

12. Djchristy

Top Poster Of Month

The pro came out November 2016 if the ps5 came out November 2019 that would be 3 year and is be fine with that.

13. BazTardoUK

No the point is it will have only been out 2 years if they announce PS5 when you want them to, and that's not good for business.

14. schatuk

Yeah, and my point is that Sony don’t give their hardware that much lead time. If it’s a late 2019 release (it’ll either be that or 2020 sometime) then the announce will be very late 2018 AT THE EARLIEST, possibly even early 2019. E3 is way too early.

15. schatuk

To be clear, I’m not arguing worth your assertion of a late 2019 release. I think that’s the beginning of a 12 month window in which we will see PS5 - I personally feel it’s more likely to be 2020, but 2019 is certainly possible.

I was arguing with your point about an E3 2018 reveal for all the reasons that I and others have stated above

16. Djchristy

Top Poster Of Month

I was thinking more along the lines of what Microsoft did back at E3 2016 give you a hint of what was to come and then released the X the following October/November.

17. schatuk

We’re not talking about Microsoft though and that’s never been Sony’s approach

18. Djchristy

Top Poster Of Month

True but that dosn't mean that it couldn't happen. I personally think it most likely will come out next year you don't have to agree with me but we'll just have to wait and see who's right

19. schatuk

Indeed.

Djchristy likes this.
  20. Kail1967

Kail1967 Most likely to Rage Quit

Damn, thats some impressive figures, and with the list of upcoming exclusives they have lined up be interesting to see how higher that figure gets.
    On the subject of PS5, not quite sure it will be this year before we hear something solid from Sony and thats simply as they don't need to get out the PS5 for at least another year. Totally different from Xbox who had to do something and despite how good the X is it still isn't pushing the same kind of figures the PS4 is doing i imagine.
    Sony has the luxury of a very good base console, a leading software lineup and a very loyal fanbase who would wait another year or so till they see another Sony console.

Djchristy likes this.