1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

1080p v 720p does it matter? Is the xbone Tech fucked!

Discussion in 'Multi Format Gaming' started by EzyRambo, Oct 31, 2013.

1. EzyRambo

EzyRambo Wastes loads of time on forum

Seen this video from Matt Lees at videogamer.com discussing the issues that the Xbox is facing compared to the PS4. It completely unbiased and he talks about the serious gamble MS made with xbone that could bite them in the arse. Interesting watch.

Enjoy.

2. Frodo

Frodo Button Pusher 'DILLIGAF' Award Winner 2016

It most certainly does matter. Can't understand why ms haven't gone with a console that can do it with few issues

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk

3. Skye

Skye Bublé Hater

not something that will bother me whichever route I went as I use 720 now and I am happy enough

4. Frodo

So you are happy with inferior tech? That makes zero sense?

5. EzyRambo

The point Matt Lees is making Skye is that there is concern in a few years from now Xbone is going to have problems running the latest games, the gap seems big now and as DT commented on another thread that is only going to grow between the two. This Esram at 32mb is a serious bottleneck problem for the xbone and could effect the type of multiplatform games we get.

Thankfully the first signs are that developers are not going to cripple the PS4 version just because the xbone isn't up to the job even if they are in bed with MS.

6. Frodo

Exactly... It's not just about the resolution. It's the fact the Xbox is flawed.

7. BazTardoUK

BazTardoUK Baz Blatter Staff Member Sterling Toss Award Pour me... another Most likely to pass out at a meetup Most likely to Rage Quit Game Night Host 2016 Game Completionist

720p doesn't matter.

What matters is 1080p is possible and was achieved for PS4.

At this early stage we could understand and take it on the chin if neither managed it, knowing that as time went on, they would manage it.

Sent from my Xperia Z1 using Tapatalk

8. Frodo

Wouldn't understand it at all mate. These things are comparable to high end PCs that have been able for 1080p for years.

The simple fact the Xbone can't do 1080p on COD, which is running an old engine upscaled, is the main issue here.

9. Djchristy

Djchristy COD Hater Worst FPS Player Useless Game Night Host 2016 Game Completionist

Top Poster Of Month

Not for me at the minute but down the line maybe!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

10. Frodo

I think people are missing the point here...

11. Kail1967

Kail1967 Most likely to Rage Quit

Matters fuck all to me, ps3 resolution on my plasma had always been set to 720p and I've missed nothing.

If people were that concerned about it they would be using a high end pc and not tossing around on inferior consoles.

12. Skye

Skye Bublé Hater

Im not missing the point either, I currently play at 720 and I am more than happy with that as i said, also I am more than happy using my ps3, thing is if people were that bothered in all honesty they should be using PC not a console

13. Skye

Skye Bublé Hater

you reading my mind or something kail lol

14. EzyRambo

Ah the old PC argument, want to be on a sofa rather than staring at a monitor. The argument is not about the resolution. Its about the fact that xbone is struggling to run FULL HD on an old engine. Will this clear deficiency that is becoming apparent going to cause major issue for those who invest in an xbone in the games years down the line or hold back the PS4 in a major way that games don't possibly evolve with new ideas because they can't be done on the inferior hardware that is clearly at this early stage the xbone.

Forget resolutions it's about ability of a console, if a developer comes along and says we want to do these amazing things in a new type of game and need a console that has some grunt then look at the xbone and go bugger it won't run, will they drop this new idea for a game because it's not worth the investment just for one console because they wouldn't make much profit if the other console wasn't able to perform.

15. Skye

Skye Bublé Hater

your pc can be hooked up to a tv and u can sit on a sofa same as a console so sitting by a desk is irrelevant these days

16. BazTardoUK

BazTardoUK Baz Blatter Staff Member Sterling Toss Award Pour me... another Most likely to pass out at a meetup Most likely to Rage Quit Game Night Host 2016 Game Completionist

I'm buying PS4 because I want to be using the latest console to play the latest games.

At no point did I expect every game to be 1080p. Neither did I care.

I never really moan about graphics in games, and often compliment them when others don't.

Sent from my Xperia Z1 using Tapatalk

17. schatuk

schatuk Staff Member Voted Best Admin By Members Outstanding Contribution to GOs 2016 Game Completionist Most Helpful Member

Agreed. From a tech standpoint, the XBone is a clusterfuck of simply epic proportions and no amount of fanboy FUD will alter that. They can't get more than 720p at stable frame rates out of not one but TWO 8 year old engines. They might be able to rectify that to an extent over time with better dev tools, drivers etc, but they might not. Irrespective, that MS are in this position at all says either a) MS don't give a toss about games, all PR bluster aside or b) this has been the biggest failure in project management in recent history.

Sent from my HTC One X+

18. Kail1967

No because if anyone thinks remotely for one second that Microsoft will not get it right in regards to this xb1 console is nothing more than being a blind fucking idiot. Sorry for the language but it's true, the console will evolve over the years so what's happening now wouldn't worry me in the slightest.

19. Skye

Skye Bublé Hater

Thats fair enough Baz,, can see what your saying there perfectly and agree with you

20. Kail1967

Must be a Yorkshire thing as you said it perfectly m8